Ads 468x60px

Amsterdam Netherlands Travel Sketchbook

While reading about the Netherlands for my Travel Sketchbook I came across this scene in Amsterdam.  The sun and sky were shimmering on these windows and each house had its own unique windows both side by side and comparable to the other buildings in the neighborhood. 

I wish I would have had more time to draw.  Done too quickly the windows angled awkwardly unfortunate since I was trying to capture their overall look.  The three sister houses look like they were done by a contractor who was becoming more drunk as he was completing houses.  They do not look like that in real life.  The house on the left was my best I could imagine sitting on the front stoop watching the boats motoring by. 

Hopefully next weeks virtual trip will prove to have more creative time.  Not every art piece is perfect but they all deserve their time of reflection for the sake of artistic growth.


20 comments:

Janet said...

Well, I like your sketch. I had a very lovely few days in Amsterdam last summer and your houses look like the real ones to me! Everything seemed very higgledy piggledy along the canals.

Janet xx

Anonymous said...

Your sketch is great! I like how part is colored and part left black and white. Creative!

Jen said...

Like your sketch and the colours. The angles add to the interest I think.
Jen x

Å olanje na domu-Waldorf said...

Love the houses! :) It's so typical of Amsterdam. They even had a wheel on top so they could get the furniture in because the houses are so narrow. :)

abby j said...

Love, love, love the sketch! Fabulous card!!

mags21 said...

your sketch is brilliant, love the splash of colour.

Glenys said...

A brilliant sketch! If I did something like that my windows would be all over the place...great sense of proportion!!

Tamoonstone said...

I love your last paragraph about all artwork deserving their time of reflection - this is so true and wise. Creativity is after all, not a way to find perfection, it is a way of finding joy! I really love your sketch. I agree with Jen that the angles add to the interest. :-)

kazumiwannabe said...

Very nice! The coloring works well, it looks fresh and lovely. Also, it makes me want to go back to Amsterdam, such a great city!

Margaret said...

I love your sketches, you include such wonderful tiny details and the splashes of colour are just perfect. M

Darcy Marshall said...

I love your sketch, it actually looks like it was meant to be that way, it would make for a perfect 'real' postcard.

Lulabelle said...

I love you sketch! Love the colours too!

Leialoha said...

FABulous sketch...I love the details, especially all the windows and the tops of the bldgs. Yes, all your beautiful creative works deserve reflection...thanks for sharing them...Aloha.

Cazro said...

I love your sketch, the houses along the canals are so spectacular in real life, nicely captured on your postcard. Caz

San @ Made in Hem said...

The houses were once build perfectly straight up but everything is build on clay and the deep layers keep shifting making the houses look somewhat like this. It really depicts Amsterdam very well!!! ♥

gottahavemoxie said...

Well things do sag a bit after time right? I think your choice of just a few pops of color and all that white space is really cool. Makes for an awesome drawing!

Granny Gee said...

I think this is a lovely image. It has a sort of innocence about it, just lovely to look at :D XXX

K.M.Myers said...

LOVELY little sketch!

APG Jamie said...

such happy houses!

Unknown said...

I LIKE your sketch! Great color pattern for the windows. Love the simplicity.

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

 

Share

Copyright

2015 ©Mary Walker
All Rights Reserved
 
Blogger Templates