Ads 468x60px

Sketchbook Page from China

For my virtual sketchbook this week I visited China.  I studied at length the Forbidden city and took in much of the unique architecture and symbolism.  I was delighted with the pagodas and almost drew the building at the Square Pagoda Park but it was very square and linear.

I wanted to create something with more feeling.  China's population is large, just people jam packed everywhere.  This is especially true of Shanghai, I was entranced by the colorful advertising but also amazed that the lighting of the inanimate objects had more projected life to them then the people themselves.  This is what I believe captured the mood.  Within the picture is the false life created by the lit up city and the the faceless people within.  Maybe it was the rainy day that made them seem so distant from one another.



14 comments:

Lorilee Guenter said...

Interesting take on China. Great detail in your sketch.

APG Jamie said...

blank faces dispersed among the umbrellas; yet all is bright in color <3

Jen said...

Like your sketch, sad that in a busy city people can be so lonely.
Jen x

Granny Gee said...

This is a fantastic depiction of Chinese life, can feel the people scurrying by :D XXX

Darcy Marshall said...

great sketch you definately captured the colour and vibrancy, your notes made me look more closely at the people. i wonder do they feel less important than the technology that surrounds them, strange how our world is changing like this.

Margaret said...

Lovely choice of colours and interesting image you've created. M

Janet said...

Great sketch. You have captured the busy street life and the artificial vibrancy. It is the people who matter.

Janet xx

Halle said...

Wonderful drawing...

Sunshineshelle said...

Full of colour, busy with lot's of activity, just wonderful!

Alison xx said...

Fabulous postcard. It really captures the big city feel. A xx

debbi taylor said...

your card is great such bright colours of the city x

Cazro said...

A wonderful piece of art which depicts the busy city life. Caz

manomij said...

Yes having an umbrella gives a false sense of a boundary I guess. I love your take on China!

Å olanje na domu-Waldorf said...

That's a great take on the theme china. :) Love the colors! :)

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by!

 

Share

Copyright

2015 ©Mary Walker
All Rights Reserved
 
Blogger Templates