Ads 468x60px

Peace Disrupted Two Big Black Snakes

It started as a peaceful Sunday like any other.  We spent the morning enjoying our vines plump with honeysuckle.  Bringing some in to add their aroma to our kitchen and teaching the girls how to harvest their sweet juice.  Looking up the flower from our tree and learning that it was a Magnolia blossom again another wonderful fragrance.  The day continued like that relaxed and easy.  Until the evening while the girls were cleaning up the yard.  Something large fell from our tree with birds chasing behind it.  I figured it was another year of explaining to the girls that birds fall out of the nest sometimes.  Instead it was two big black snakes they had landed on an eye level branch.  It's funny when picture mode sets in and all I could think was, "I have to get a picture of this."  Creeping in closer and closer the girls tucked tightly behind my leg wavering between, excited "I wanna see." and fearful "Mommy, don't get so close."  It was a rush to capture the moment.  Their shiny bodies, the lush leaves and the ridged bark set up each other so well.  Eventually these snakes will become an excellent drawing subject.

Two black rat snakes
Big full vines of honeysuckle

Magnolia tree blossom


3 comments:

  1. Aww..that's what I call scary! or are they safe to handle? I've no idea about rat snakes. Are they very common in your area?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! That must have been exciting! :) That's what I think first as well. Usually it's, darn I wish I had my camera with me. :)))

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow that is something else! We used to come across snakes all the time when we lived in Florida. The photo is terrific and I love how they look against the green leaves.
    cool post:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

 

Share

Copyright

2015 ©Mary Walker
All Rights Reserved
 
Blogger Templates